Everyone has a book in them, right? I never thought I would try my hand at fiction but have enjoyed the journey of learning the art. After several years of professional coaching, editing and numerous rewrites, I’ve got a few chapters that I’m told are promising.
There’s nothing I like better than to read what others have to say about what I have written. I share them here with the hopes that you find them enjoyable and are willing to provide feedback. I’m especially looking for critics who can tell me what’s wrong with the science and theology behind the tales I have spun.
Book Jacket Synopsis for Red Sky
The sky is falling…literally. Four scientists race against time to reassure the world as it encounters a rogue planet. Astronomer David Mitchell is the face of the government. He must provide play-by-play advance notice of what to expect next. But how can anyone predict what will happen when two planets come together? It’s never happened before. Or has it?
Manny Volynsky is on a mission to tell the world the truth about this rogue planet. He’ll stop at nothing to get to the scientific conference where he’ll have a worldwide audience. There he can share answers about the red dust that has started to fall. But Manny is a nutcase history professor who has no credibility in the scientific world. Will they listen to his stories of the ancient myths?
Death from the skies is impossible. Everyone knows that, especially David who has taught it repeatedly over the years, using scientific evidence to prove it. When fire begins to accompany the red dust, the conflict between science and myth is blurred. Manny’s predictions of future events have come true. David must decide if he will give Manny a voice to warn the people.
Note: There is nothing blatantly LDS in the story. It is told from a scientific / humanistic point of view. But those familiar with prophecy will recognize many of the events as coming right from the scriptures.
Chapters Written So Far (all these links open small PDFs)
Note: My favorite chapters, which will give you the most background for the story are: Red Dust, Lounge Act and The Warning Voice. The PDFs are replaced on a regular basis as I revise, improve or otherwise edit the chapters. Some of these are very rough first drafts, others are near complete polished chapters.
1. The Unwanted Lecture – We meet Cynthia, a young graduate student
2. A Day in the Sun – We meet David when the sun goes dark for a few moments
3. Too Many Disaster Movies – David meets the press, doesn’t go too well
4. A Push to the Right – A comet hits Mars and pushes it toward Earth
5. Electromagnetic Pulse – A massive flare and CME cause a huge EMP
6. Red Dust – The red dust causes a near crash of Manny’s jet
7. Sealing the Gaps – A family in Salt Lake reacts to the falling dust
8. Return of the Plagues – Elements of the Dark Discharge Phase identified
9. Lounge Act – Manny presents his theories of the last days for David
10. View From the Top – Astronauts on the ISS encounter the approaching menace
11. At the Gate – David meets Cynthia on the way to Washington DC
12. Coronal Mass Ejection – The team flies to Washington DC for the conference
13. Meet the Press – David sets the scene for Manny’s worldwide announcement,
14. The Warning Voice – Manny finally gets his chance to warn a worldwide audience
15. Bombardment – The initial bombardment of meteorites in advance of the planet
16. The Sun Shall be Darkened – The President is briefed by his science advisor
17. The Caldera at Taum Sauk – We lose Elena in an accident at the Caldera
18. Holes Of The Rocks – Manny, Cynthia & David wait out another meteorite storm.
19. All Hail Breaks Loose – Destruction in Salt Lake – falling hail and an earthquake
20. The Long Trek Home – A new character and a devastating California earthquake
A Few Supporting Documents
NOTE: All original material on this website, including this fictional work-in-progress is copyrighted and the intellectual property of Tim Malone